Brian Conn gave a great talk at Tech Talk DC on Front-end development for full-stack developers.
Brian highlighted the pressures on full-stack developers to keep up with fast moving front-end libraries, tools and practices and highlighted the focus on integrating software vs creating software.
Brian has concrete suggestions to stay afloat as a full-stack developer. Some of the highlights includes:
- Evaluate, re-evaluate but don't expand core tool stack
- Climb the bandwagon on new/cool tech very carefully
- Use a small number of mature frameworks
- Get yourself out of the CSS game
- Practice good front-end hygiene
Overall, Brian, highlighted the importance of figuring out your strengths and weaknesses and accepting the reality that you can't be the master of everything.
You can download his slides right here.